This announcement encourages programs or projects that improve the capacity of education systems and communities to create impactful STEM educational experiences for students and teachers, and prepare the 21st century STEM workforce. AFRL’s Workforce Development programs or projects include, but are not limited to:
- Internships (High School through Doctoral)
- Fellowship Apprentice/Residency Programs
- College or University project-based learning programs
- Formal or informal workforce development programs or projects that align with the Federal STEM Strategy and DOD STEM Mission
Program Goals. AFRL’s program goals are to:
- Address geographic disparities and broaden participation for underrepresented and underserved communities.
- Foster community engagement that support and encourage STEM learning, understanding, build STEM skills and literacy in an evidence-based and innovative manner.
- Increase awareness of DoD and AFRL science and technology priorities such as artificial
intelligence/machine learning, biotechnology, cyber security and DoD science and technologies.
- Develop partnerships with industry and other organizations to promote sustainable STEM Workforce Development programs or projects.
Program Objectives. AFRL’s program objectives are to:
- Provide opportunities for intellectual challenge and collaboration by promoting scientific interactions between the academic community and scientists at the AFRL’s laboratories and facilities.
- Develop and maintain a long-term recruiting pipeline supporting the AFRL’s laboratories and facilities by training and educating the next generation of scientists and engineers in fundamental research of relevance to the Federal STEM Strategy, the DoD STEM Mission, and AFRL’s STEM driven
- Support graduate students pursuing advanced degrees (i.e. Masters and PhDs) in areas of relevance to STEM literacy, innovation, and employment.
- Provide program participants with exposure to researchers and the environment AFRL’s laboratories and facilities and make participants aware of future career and employment opportunities at AFRL.